Monday 25 September 2017

Fantasy Cover Version #8 - if Elvis Costello covered "Can't Get You Out Of My Head"...

A blog series that you can contribute to...

Here's the gist. I want to hear about your fantasy cover versions. Simply make the case for the cover version that you'd love to hear but, fairly obviously, does not actually exist. And send me that case, here. By case, I mean explain why artist X covering song Y would be good, don't just send me their respective names.

Eighth guest contributor is another Mark, this one from the excellent blog So It Goes... Mark made a couple of brief suggestions in the comments of an earlier FCV. I've chosen one (the one that features a semi-clad Kylie, obviously) and - you know the drill by now - embellished with some YouTube evidence. Mark writes:

I love this idea! [How about] Kylie's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" ...

... done as a deeply stripped back, slowed down piece by a "I Want You" creepy Elvis Costello?

Works for me, Mark. After all, it's clearly a song that lends itself to the odd cover version, And Elvis has previous for covering other songs pretty well too.

Think you can suggest a fantasy cover version this good? Then please, try your luck and remember - the more you make the case, the better! The list of past submissions may inspire you.

7 comments:

  1. Elvis could cover the phone book and it'd be all right with me. I'm of a vintage though when my first thought for this song title will always be ELO...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I think Elvis would do a fair cover of that song too.

      Delete
  2. Excellent, such a contrast- it could completely change the mood of the song (Elvis as stalker?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, takes it to a much darker place!

      Delete
    2. Exactly what I had in mind - it suddenly becomes even more stalkery than The Police's Every Breath You Take!

      Delete