Tuesday 5 January 2016

Audiophile opinions please...

After a year of being goodish, I got a FiiO X1 high definition audio player for Christmas. Lucky me, because it is outstanding.

I listen to it through a pair of Sony AS41EX headphones, which are a bit of a compromise because I need my cans to be discrete, to stay on whilst running and to have excellent sound quality. These from Sony are the best blend of those three that I could find without spending silly money.

The Fiio X1 doesn't have a hard drive, so I've fitted a 128Gb micro SD card to it, and am busy digitising my CD collection at the compromise bit-rate of 256kbps. I'd like to do 320, but I've got a hell of a lot of CDs to fit into 128Gb.

All in all, I'm very pleased with how my new rig sounds. There's just one gap though - I'm in the market for a portable speaker. Now the X1 doesn't support Bluetooth or wi-fi, so it'll be a wired connection via a standard 3.5mm stereo jack, from headphone socket to line in. Bluetooth would be nice, as it would allow me to use my phone as a secondary device, but it's not a deal breaker. What I'm looking for really is rechargeability, a good battery life, excellent sound quality and a non-ridiculous price. And since I know a good proportion of this blog's readers are only really interested in the music-related posts, I wondered if you lot had any ideas or recommendations? Don't all shout at once ...

No comments:

Post a Comment