Tuesday 22 February 2005

'Blogging on...

Everybody else is blogging, so why shouldn't I? Well, one reason would be that most blogs are poorly written and interminably boring, and mine will almost certainly be no exception. I'm not going to let that stop me though, so apologies in advance.

Of course, another reason is that most blogs either turn into personal diatribes against someone or something, or peter out after a few days/weeks/months. With this in mind, I promise to:
  • restrict this blog to thoughts, observations and recommendations
  • not try to write every day so that I quickly get bored and abandon the whole thing
  • do my best to be at least remotely interesting to other people

So, an observation. Is it just me or are British weathermen so worried about being blamed for something that they issue "severe weather" warnings at the drop of a hat? Maybe they're all worried about being the next Michael Fish (UK weatherman who famously assured the nation that the hurricane of October 1987 wouldn't hit - he's been taking stick for that ever since). Last night, our meteorological friends were warning of 4cm of snow overnight. Where is it then? I awoke to the merest dusting of the white stuff, so light that it reminded me of icing sugar atop a Victoria sponge cake. No day off work for me then... As an aside, the unexpected clemency of the snowfall didn't stop two cars coming together right outside my house this morning. How easy it is to be caught out by an ungritted road.

Right, enough of that. Just got time to squeeze in a quick recommendation. One of the most useful things I learnt at university was how to spin a pen around my thumb (I know, it was some course). You can learn how to do this too, by visiting pentrix.com - trust me, once you start you'll never hold a pen in the same way again...

2 comments:

  1. I love looking back at the very first post in a blog I enjoy, and it seems you have pretty much remained on track all these years later. I started a good 11 years after you so not sure if the technology will even still be around for me to have such longevity. Anyway well done on the 16 years - The vloggers and podcasters have their own platforms but happy to stick to words for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyson. Sixteen years, ye gods! I wasn't on Blogger back at the start, I had a Geocities-hosted website and I hand-coded my own blogging platform on that. Then, when Geocities finally folded, I upped sticks and moved to a free web host, porting my whole hand-written blog platform across. I gave up swimming against the tide and moved to the whole shooting match, past comments and all, to Blogger in January 2014. It was a lot of work, that last move, but worth it.

      Delete